Wreck of the Cottoneva
February 10, 1937 was a very windy day. The 75 miles per hour wind caused the steam schooner Cottoneva to run aground at Battle Rock. The 190 foot schooner was in port loading 800,000 board feet of lumber. The captain and all 26 seamen were rescued by the coast guard using a breecher buoy.
The Cottoneva was constructed in 1917, and was origionally called Frank D. Stout. The only thing left of the schooner, it the propeller. The propeller in the above pictures is on display in the Battle Rock park located in Port Orford, Oregon.